Through this policy the Real Estate Training College (RETC) seeks to ensure its commitment to how the personal information collected is stored and handled. For the purpose of this policy "persons" refers to students, staff, clients and any person engaged by the RETC.
The RETC understands the importance persons attach to personal information (such as name, address, date of birth, personal email address etc). The RETC is committed to managing and protecting the personal information that persons share with us in confidence and that personal information is only used by the RETC in the ways that are legal, ethical and secure.
The RETC recognises its responsibility to collect, manage, use and disclose personal information in accordance with prevailing community standards of best practice. The RETC uses personal information only for the purposes for which it was provided and for directly related purposes (unless otherwise required by or authorised under law).
All personal information that the RETC collects is protected by the 13 Australian Privacy Principles Act 2014 (Privacy Act). Information about the Act can be found on the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).
Under the requirements of the Australian Privacy Principles 2014, the RETC:
- Is committed to protecting the privacy of staff, students and client's personal information;
- Makes no attempt to identify users or their browsing activities except, in the unlikely event of investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the service provider's logs;
- and Student, staff and client e-mail address and contact details will only be used for the purpose that it has been provided to the RETC and will not be added to any mailing list, used for any other purpose and not be disclosed to any third party without permission or consent.
The RETC registers students into the following courses:
- Certificate III Property Management
- Certificate IV Property Sales
- Diploma of Property Sales
- 3 Day Property Management/PM Licence
This Policy covers personal information pertaining to prospective, current and former students, current and former staff, and clients of the RETC. Personal information does not include information about an individual that is contained or obtained publicly through available publications. Any hardcopy or electronic record created by RETC staff members in the course of their duties is an official RETC record and is, therefore, covered by this Policy.
What Is Personal Information?
Personal information is broadly defined under the Privacy Act as information or an opinion about a person, which identifies them or would allow their identity to be reasonably ascertained. Some examples of personal information include names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. The definition of personal information only relates to 'natural' persons. It does not extend to other 'legal' persons, such as companies.
Collection Of Personal Information
Through the RETC database: Job Ready
Information and details provided by students as part of a hardcopy enrolment form will be used to create the enrolment in the RETC database: Job Ready. Job Ready creates an ENTRA student number and a PATRA student number for each new enrolment. These student numbers form part of the student profile.
The RETC will record the e-mail address, personal details and contact details in Job Ready and will:
- Only use these details for the purpose for which it was provided;
- Not add the contact to a mailing list or contact list;
- Not use these details for any other purpose; and
- Not disclose this information without written consent except where Job Ready or the RETC has been advised it may be required to by law.
Information collected through enrolment forms
Enrolment forms are provided by contacting the RETC, this is a requirement for the submission of applications to be registered to do a credited training course. Enrolment forms may be submitted by email, personally or by post. Where a student chooses to send the RETC a completed form that includes personal details, the RETC collects personally identifiable information, such as name, address and email address.
This Privacy Notice is now part of the RETC enrolment procedure.
Where payment is required:
- The RETC may collect your credit card details, if the client chooses to pay by credit card and has personally written this detail on the enrolment form. Applications of this type that can include credit card information are handled only by RETC administration staff. Once the payment has been processed, and the enrolment form has been entered into Job Ready, this application and its contents is placed into a secure locked confidential bin for disposal (see Storage and Security of Personal Information)
- The information on the credit card is not stored into our database nor can it be used again for further payments
- Alternative payment options (through bank, business or personal cheque) are available for those who prefer not to use credit cards
Information collected through site visit data
Website Server Logs:
When a person visits the RETC web site, the site's servers automatically record information that the browser sends. This may include the server address, the top level domain name (for example, .com, .gov, .au, and .uk), the date and time of each visit to the site, the pages accessed and documents viewed, the previous sites visited, the browser type, the browser language and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify the browser.
The RETC makes no attempt to identify users from site visit data except, in the unlikely event of investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the service provider's logs.
When a person uses one of the enquiry forms on our website the RETC:
- Will record the personal information provided by the person (name, email address, telephone number);
- Will only use this information for the purpose for which it was provided;
- And will ensure only authorised staff have access to this information.
When you send an email to the RETC the email address supplied will only be used for the purpose that it was provided. RETC will not use the email address for any other purpose and will not disclose it to any third party without prior consent.
The RETC does not warrant the security of any information supplied to the RETC through its web site. Further, RETC does not warrant that any information supplied cannot be accessed by third parties outside of the RETC.
Access To Your Personal Information
The RETC can, at the request of the individual, provide them with access to any information which the RETC has collected about them in accordance with Information Privacy Principle 6, Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). If a person believes that any information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please contact the Director of the RETC and the RETC will revise the relevant information in accordance with Information Privacy Principle 7, Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
Links To Other Sites
The RETC website provides links to other related sites. The RETC is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites. The RETC also accepts no responsibility for material contained in any site that links to the RETC website.
Storage And Security Of Personal Information
- Will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is protected by all and reasonable safeguards against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or any other misuse is in place;
- Will ensure that personal information is kept for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it may lawfully be used;
- Records will be disposed of securely and in accordance with any requirements for the retention and disposal of personal information:
- Enrolment details (that have been written on the enrolment form are entered into the Job Ready data base) will then be placed in a confidential locked bin for disposal. This bin is owned and is removed by Green Team; and its contents destroyed securely on a monthly basis;
- Does not record the information of credit card details and it does not store or enter these details in the Job Ready database; and
- Offers alternative payment options (through bank, business or personal cheque) for those who prefer not to use credit cards.
Applicants who prefer not to use email for applications may submit forms by post.
Sharing Information Gathered Through Application Forms
Some of the information provided through RETC application form will be on the National Register in accordance with the National Vocational Education and Training Act 2011. Australian Privacy Principles also enable the RETC to disclose personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- The disclosure is required or authorised by or under law
- The disclosure is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of criminal law or a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of the public revenue.
Changes To This Policy
Real Estate Training College
Level 5 / 31 Franklin Street
Adelaide SA 5000
ph. 08 8410 4990
Under the Data Provision Requirements 2012, Real Estate Training College is required to collect personal information about you and to disclose that personal information to the National Centre for Vocational Education Research Ltd (NCVER).
Your personal information (including the personal information contained on this enrolment form), may be used or disclosed by Real Estate Training College for statistical, administrative, regulatory and research purposes. Real Estate Training College may disclose your personal information for these purposes to:
- Commonwealth and State or Territory government departments and authorised agencies; and
Personal information that has been disclosed to NCVER may be used or disclosed by NCVER for the following purposes:
- authenticated VET transcripts;
- facilitating statistics and research relating to education, including surveys and data linkage;
- pre-populating RTO student enrolment forms;
- understanding how the VET market operates, for policy, workforce planning and consumer information; and
- administering VET, including program administration, regulation, monitoring and evaluation.
You may receive a student survey which may be administered by a government department or NCVER employee, agent or third-party contractor or other authorised agencies. Please note you may opt out of the survey at the time of being contacted.
NCVER will collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), the National VET Data Policy and all NCVER policies and protocols (including those published on NCVER's website.